Boasting oh-so chic taste and a worldly sensibility, Los Angeles-based interior designer Kishani Perera is takingLuxe behind the scenes of her beautifully and eclectically designed world, providing a peek into her creative process. Excuse us as we “rummage” through Ms. Perera’s exciting design journey, picking up some cues on“vintage remix” as we go.
1. You are known for your ability to blend the refined with the ordinary in order to create stunning spaces. When did you find this visual voice, so to speak?
The instinct to mix high and low was an innate part of even my earliest designs. I’ve always been able to see the beauty in almost anything and never discriminated based on provenance. I was just as enamored with the interiors and pieces that I saw in luxurious design magazines as I was by an artistically curated apartment filled with flea market finds; just as drawn to the beautiful lines of a retail table as a centuries-old antique. My love for good design, no matter where I found it, emerged as this blend, which has now become somewhat of my signature.
2. Your retail boutique, Rummage, is clearly a personification of that signature look. What do you love most about your shop?
My favorite thing about Rummage is the eclectic collection of pieces that happily co-exist in one little space! You can travel the world, spanning many decades, as you go from one object to the next, which I love.
3. In three words, describe your design spirit.
Vintage, balanced, vibrant.
4. Who is your dream client?
Such a hard question! Rather than one specific person, I think I would say my dream client, generally speaking, is one who has homes in both the US and Europe, who is well-traveled, appreciates the arts and culture, loves unique elements and character, and most importantly, is kind and respectful. It really is more about a compatible personality than anything. I threw the European home in because any excuse to travel and shop in Europe makes me happy!
5. In your opinion, what is the biggest takeaway from the pages of your book Vintage Remix?
Good design is not exclusive to big budgets and mansions.
6. You use a lot of texture. Do you think that different textures help to blend the modern and vintage worlds?
Yes, though I’m a big fan of texture in general, and love how it adds interest and complexity.
7. What is your favorite area in your own home? Why?
I love my living room sofa because it’s positioned by the window in such a way that the sun comes pouring in on just that spot, and if you recline a bit and look up, you feel as though you’re lying amongst the tree tops.
8. Are there any colors you shy away from?
I really don’t have a least favorite color. In the right combination and application, any color can be beautiful. But in the wrong hands, of course, a good color could go bad really fast!
9. Where can you be found on a sunny Sunday afternoon?
Sadly, inside working! Ideally though, I’d be on a beach somewhere listening to music and reading a good book.
– See more at: http://www.homedesignideas.eu/kishani-pereras-chic-journey/#sthash.8amuXEDQ.dpuf